tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 22 20:11:58 2007

Re: *'Iytlher paq

naHQun ([email protected])

On 10/22/07, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> naHQun wrote:
> >11 mIp neHqu' *'aqIS ghotpu'.  *'aqIS rur ghotpu'.  HoS neHqu' *'aqIS.
>
> prefix:  {mIp luneH ghotpu'} and {'aqIS lurur ghotpu'} - {'aqIS ghotpu'} is
> plural:  the Akish people, Akish's people.
>
> >ghotpu'vaD Huch nob *'aqIS puqloDpu'.
>
> again prefix:  {Huch lunob puqloDpu'}

I noticed that I had been leaving off {lu-} part way through,
apparently I still missed a few spots.

> >ghotpu' HochHom matlhghach je' *'aqIS puqloDpu'.
> >
> >11 Now the people of Akish were desirous for gain, even as Akish was
> >desirous for <http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ether/9/11a>power; wherefore,
> >the sons of Akish did offer them
> ><http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ether/9/11b>money, by which means they drew
> >away the more part of the people after them.
>
> "loyalty"?
>
> Insert a suffix after the verb.  {-taH} will do:  *{matlhtaHghach}.  Fierce
> loyalty or devotion bordering on fanaticism might be *{matlhqu'ghach}.

Being that it's not "true loyalty" (it's being bought), I thought I'd
make it "highly marked".

> >28  joH'a' He' yIcherchughbe' qaS Soj Hutlhqu'taHghach'a'.
> >     peyemtaHchugh, lIQaw' joH'a'.
> >
> >28 yea, even there should be a great famine, in which they should be
> >destroyed if they did not repent.
>
> For "famine", how about *{ghungtaHghach} from {ghung} "be hungry"?
>

> >30 qaSpu', qaSchoH Soj bIQ je Hutlhqu'taHghach'a'.
> >
> >30 And it came to pass that there began to be a great
> ><http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ether/9/30a>dearth upon the land
>
> Since the original doesn't mention them, omit {Soj bIQ je}.  You can easily
> drop a couple of your suffixes and still get your point
> across:  *{Hutlhqu'ghach}.  Another option might be *{DachtaHghach} from
> {Dach} "be absent".

Yeah, I spent a while on those.

Wait, that's it? I left off {lu-} and suggestions with {-ghach}?

I don't think anyone can use {-ghach} without suggestions coming up,
and a prefix is a simple thing to take care of. I didn't realize I was
getting this good. We'll have to see if any other comments come in.

Oh, and:

jalth Quvar:

>I will not got into the grammar of the text itself, but I suggest you
change its title:
>> *'Iytlher paq
>I believe this word looks way too much like "Hitler", actually this
was the first >thing that came to my mind when I read it.
>Besides of that, I would say that a "t"-sound would fit better to
>transliterate "Ether". Perhaps even a "v" or so, but "tlh" is not so
good.
>Just my two cent.

Actually, it was literally a last second decision to spell it that
way. Until then I had used *'etlher, which I had seen someone else use
in chapter 15. But then I realized the beginning vowel sound was
wrong. But I'll definitely be changing it now. *'eter does sound
better...

~naHQun

http://www.myspace.com/naHQun
http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/purpleelaphants/

Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any
taste in the white of an egg?
Job 6:6

Back to archive top level