tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 22 12:17:52 2007

Re: *'Iytlher paq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun wrote:
>I'm sure there's a problem with my one use of {-ghach} and I might have used
>{tIng} incorrectly, otherwise I'll just sit back and wait for the replies.
>     [....]
>11 mIp neHqu' *'aqIS ghotpu'.  *'aqIS rur ghotpu'.  HoS neHqu' *'aqIS.

prefix:  {mIp luneH ghotpu'} and {'aqIS lurur ghotpu'} - {'aqIS ghotpu'} is
plural:  the Akish people, Akish's people.

>ghotpu'vaD Huch nob *'aqIS puqloDpu'.

again prefix:  {Huch lunob puqloDpu'}

>ghotpu' HochHom matlhghach je' *'aqIS puqloDpu'.
>
>11 Now the people of Akish were desirous for gain, even as Akish was
>desirous for <http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ether/9/11a>power; wherefore,
>the sons of Akish did offer them
><http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ether/9/11b>money, by which means they drew
>away the more part of the people after them.

"loyalty"?

Insert a suffix after the verb.  {-taH} will do:  *{matlhtaHghach}.  Fierce
loyalty or devotion bordering on fanaticism might be *{matlhqu'ghach}.

>28  joH'a' He' yIcherchughbe' qaS Soj Hutlhqu'taHghach'a'.
>     peyemtaHchugh, lIQaw' joH'a'.
>
>28 yea, even there should be a great famine, in which they should be
>destroyed if they did not repent.

For "famine", how about *{ghungtaHghach} from {ghung} "be hungry"?

>30 qaSpu', qaSchoH Soj bIQ je Hutlhqu'taHghach'a'.
>
>30 And it came to pass that there began to be a great
><http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ether/9/30a>dearth upon the land

Since the original doesn't mention them, omit {Soj bIQ je}.  You can easily
drop a couple of your suffixes and still get your point
across:  *{Hutlhqu'ghach}.  Another option might be *{DachtaHghach} from
{Dach} "be absent".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons