tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 06 11:02:38 2007

RE: Grammar question: valid suffixes for {ben}

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 10:26 AM 10/6/2007, you wrote:
> > ... the best translation would ensure that
> > the uncertainty applies to that timestamp.
>
>I agree with this...
>

> > <wa'maH ben jo' chenmoHlu'law'>.
>
>But then here you move the uncertainty to the action.
>"Ten years ago (certain) the machinery was apparently built (uncertain)."

Yes, <wa'maH ben jo' chenmoHlu'law'>. is my translation of your
sentence "Apparently ten years ago the machinery is built." I was
illustrating the way I read your sentence.

> > >or, say, when spoken by some time traveller:
> > >
> > >     vagh SanID benvo' jIjaH.
> > >     I came from five thousand yeras ago.
> >
> > Our experience isn't that Klingons use metaphors of place with times,
> > so the -vo' on a timestamp comes out looking weird. But you've
> > specified time travel, which could tun a time into a more of a place,
>
>I agree with Qov on this one.
>-Daq and -vo' have to do with physical location, but at the moment I
>can't think of another way.
>
>Has anybody here written any time travel stories?

No. I might say something like wa'Hu', vagh ben jIH. -- "Yesterday I
was five years ago."

Back to archive top level