tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 19 17:21:34 2007

Re: {-Daq} in complex sentences (was Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe')

Alan Anderson wrote:
>>> Such a noun is still a noun, and nothing prevents it from being part
>>> of a noun-noun construction.  Except maybe the lack of syntax for
>>> making clear that it *is* the head noun.  If I want to be understood,
>>> I won't be that unclear.
>>>
>>> Haw'ta' ghaH.  DujDaj vIje'.
>
> ja' SuStel:
>
>> Haw'wI' Duj vIje'.
>
> rapbe' qech, 'ach ghaytan yap.
>
> Without the right context, It could be misunderstood as referring to
> *a* flee-er's ship instead of *the* specific ship of he-who-fled.
> But it's hard to imagine a line like that coming without warning.

Now you're just looking for trouble. Of course context will tell you
whether it's "a" flee-er or "the" flee-er! This is always true in
Klingon, where there are no articles to make this distinction for you.

SuStel
Stardate 7967.2

--
Practice the Klingon language on the tlhIngan Hol MUSH.
http://trimboli.name/klingon/mush.html

Back to archive top level