tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 17 16:31:23 2007

Re: {-Daq} in complex sentences (was Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe')

ja' Doq:

> So, what we have is proof that it is okay to have the subject or
> object of a subordinate clause acting as a locative for a main clause.
> What we don't have is a locative in a subordinate clause acting as a
> subject or object of a main clause, like "The officers captured the
> ship in which I fled."

In order to reach an understanding of the "I'm lost" phrase using the
information in TKD, I'm noting a difference between "a locative in a
subordinate clause" and "the head noun of a relative clause where the
noun is neither subject nor object".  The theoretical grammar
underlying {jIHtaHbogh naDev} as a proper relative clause does not
treat the noun as a locative.  In such a case, the clause merely
describes the noun without incorporating it into itself.

If my analysis is correct, we've been on the wrong track in the past
by trying to translate "the ship in which I fled" as a complete
sentence with a relative-clause marker added to it.  Using the phrase
"in which" rather than "where" leads us to seek a solution containing
both {-Daq} and {-bogh}.  Instead, I'm suggesting that the head noun
"ship" isn't actually part of the relative clause "I fled."  This
disconnect neatly explains {jIHtaHbogh naDev}, and gives {jIHaw'bogh
Duj} as the answer to the old problem.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level