tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 18 20:47:53 2007

Re: {-Daq} in complex sentences (was Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe')

qa'vaj ([email protected])

On Dec 17, 2007 6:30 PM, Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

> If my analysis is correct, we've been on the wrong track in the past
> by trying to translate "the ship in which I fled" as a complete
> sentence with a relative-clause marker added to it.  Using the phrase
> "in which" rather than "where" leads us to seek a solution containing
> both {-Daq} and {-bogh}.  Instead, I'm suggesting that the head noun
> "ship" isn't actually part of the relative clause "I fled."  This
> disconnect neatly explains {jIHtaHbogh naDev}, and gives {jIHaw'bogh
> Duj} as the answer to the old problem.

What would your proposal be for "the ship in which he fled"?

Also, can a noun modified/qualified/described by a relative clause be used
in noun-noun apposition?  If so, what would be your proposal for "He who
fled's ship"

Is it part of your idea that anytime that a relative clause modifies a head
noun that isn't the subject (or object), <<-bogh>> can only mean where/at/on
(locative sense)?

--
qa'vaj
qo'lIj DachenmoHtaH