tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 07 06:42:31 2007

Re: Prefix and noun agreement

Alan Anderson wrote:
> ja' SuStel:
>
>> Alan Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> The odd thing is that I don't have a big problem treating it as a
>>> first person subject when the verb prefix asks me to.
>> That *is* odd. What would you make of this:
>>
>>     qorDu' reghom qorDu'
>
> I'd have to get some inflection or body language help in order to be
> sure, but my first reaction at the end of the sentence is a
> combination of confusion and irritation at having been posed such a
> syntactic puzzle. :)

Between your response and those of Qov and naHQun, my impression is that
everyone is trying to figure out what I meant, and overlooking whether
they think it's *right*.

Considering the minor confusion it and other constructions like it have
caused (and given my strong distaste for it!) I can't help but think
that non-agreeing prefixes can't be normal usage. I don't like the idea
of claiming that a rule works, but only if you can make sense of it.
Especially when the rule goes against the rulebook in the first place.

I am, frankly, disappointed that so many are apparently considering this
sort of thing to be generally correct.

SuStel
Stardate 7933.2

Back to archive top level