tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 05 04:45:12 2007

Re: usage of type-7 aspect suffix {-pu}

ja' Doq:

> {qaStaHvIS wa'maH chorgh DIS moHpu'...} does not mean "He's been ugly
> for eighteen years..."

While I completely agree with your intuition here, the truth is that
we have canon which supports such a phrase.

Skybox card S8: Bat'telh - Klingon Sword of Honor
{...yIntaHvIS qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay' batlh 'etlhvam
chenmoHlu'pu'.}
"...this sword of honor descends from the time of Kahless the
Unforgettable."

There's only one reasonable way to interpret this.  It requires that
the aspect suffix on the main verb be applied to the entire sentence,
subordinate clauses and all.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level