tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 14:40:41 2006

RE: Klingon WOTD: bej (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >>  HIvrup 'e' vIbej
> >>  I watch that they're ready to attack. KGT

ter'eS:
>I can see that they are ready to attack {HIvrup 'e'
>vIlegh} or I can watch them getting ready to attack
>{HIvrupchoH 'e' vIbej} [or even better
>{HIvrupchoHtaHvIS vIbej}], but watching them being
>ready to attack seems wrong, not just clumsy English
>phrasing.

Hmm... {-rupchoHtaHvIS} "while ready to undergo a continuous change of
state"??  Although technically possible - i.e. Type 2 + 3 + 7 + 9 suffixes
in sequence - this doesn't feel right, outside of a temporal subspace
anomaly that is.  Here's Okrand on {-choH} (TKD 37):

   Suffixes of this type indicate that the action described
   by the verb involves a change of some kind from the state
   of affairs that existed before the action took place.
     maDo'choH
      we are becoming lucky,
      we are undergoing a turn of luck
     ghoSchoH
      he is beginning to go (somewhere)
   The implication of the second example is that he or she
   was going either nowhere or somewhere else sometime before
   the phrase was uttered. Note that the translation of this
   suffix may be English "become" or "begin to".

If the change of state is {-taH} "continuous", then no change has in fact
occurred.  While you see it as a slow or gradual change, even progress
towards a goal, to me {-rupchoHtaHvIS} implies a constant series
changes:  ready, not ready, ready, not ready, etc.

AFAIK there are no examples of {-choH} being used with {-taH} or {-lI'} in
the same sentence, either on the same verb or even in another clause.  But
although a change of state may not be continuous, it may be completed:

   ghorgh tujchoHpu' bIQ
   When will the water be hot? TKD

Interestingly, this is the only Type 7 suffix I could find associated with
{-choH} in the 21 examples I know of.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons