tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 14:37:22 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: bej (verb)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
>The verb {bej} literally means "watch", though its slang usage is probably
>influenced by the verb suffix {-bej} ("certainly, undoubtedly";

I recently had this epiphany, which I'd like to share.

The Terran language Pirahã, spoken in the Amazon basin, has a large series
of verbal evidential constructions (more or less equivalent to the Type 6
suffixes of Klingon). One of these is /-xáagahá/, which communicates the
idea that the speaker saw the action with their own eyes. Viz:

Pirahã: hoagaxóai hi páxai kaopápisaixáagahá
English: Hoagaxóai caught a páxai-fish (I know because I saw it)

The suffix /-xáagahá/ is actually a compound suffix, composed of /-xáaga/
"to be (a permanent state or quality)" and another evidential, /-há/, which
means "definitely, certainly". So in Pirahã, there has been a shift from "to
be certain" > "to watch, to have seen".

In Klingon, I think it happened the other way around. Back when Klingon was
less agglutinative than it is now, I think the verb suffix {-bej} was
actually just the verb {bej} "to watch", and the {X 'e' vIbej} construction
became idiomatic for "certainly" (viz. "I saw it, therefore I think it's
certain"). Eventually Klingons would just tack it on as a verb suffix. Since
it's now a fully-fledged suffix, and it no longer carries the meaning of "to
watch", the construction {X 'e' vIbej} is now free to occur again in modern
Klingon.

In short, from an etymological point of view, it may be impossible to
separate {bej} "to watch" and {-bej} "definitely".

</theory>

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level