tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 20:54:20 2006

RE: Klingon WOTD: bej (verb)

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> > The English is what's clumsy.  Klingon handles the
> > concept quite well.
> >

> I think this is clumsy on the conceptual level. "To
> watch" something to me implies observing an on-going
> process.  How is "ready to attack" an on-going
> process?
> "Getting ready to attack" is on-going, but that's not
> what he wrote.
>
> I can see that they are ready to attack {HIvrup 'e'
> vIlegh} or I can watch them getting ready to attack
> {HIvrupchoH 'e' vIbej} [or even better
> {HIvrupchoHtaHvIS vIbej}], but watching them being
> ready to attack seems wrong, not just clumsy English
> phrasing.

Operation Desert Sheild, 15 years ago.  How many months were they "ready to
attack"?  And during those months I'm sure there were scouts watching them.
The scouts didn't simply see that they were ready to attack; the scouts were
watching that they were ready to attack.

DloraH

Back to archive top level