tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 11 12:45:38 2006

RE: Klingon WOTD: bej (verb)

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- DloraH <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Voragh:
> >
> > ter'eS:
> very
> > >
> > >Never mind; I really need to read the whole post
> > >before I reply. 8+(
> >
> > It may be clumsy, but it's grammatical.
> >

> The English is what's clumsy.  Klingon handles the
> concept quite well.

I think this is clumsy on the conceptual level. "To
watch" something to me implies observing an on-going
process.  How is "ready to attack" an on-going
process?
"Getting ready to attack" is on-going, but that's not
what he wrote.

I can see that they are ready to attack {HIvrup 'e'
vIlegh} or I can watch them getting ready to attack
{HIvrupchoH 'e' vIbej} [or even better
{HIvrupchoHtaHvIS vIbej}], but watching them being
ready to attack seems wrong, not just clumsy English
phrasing.

On the other hand, the slang meaning "I'm sure they
are ready to attack" is not clumsy and makes perfect
sense, and as a bonus eliminates the need for any
convoluted phrasing with {DIch}.

-- ter'eS

> DloraH

Back to archive top level