tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 04 07:24:56 2005

Re: pickup lines

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Elizabeth:
> >HabHa''a' QuchlIj pagh choleghmo' bIQuch'a'
> >Is your forehead ridgy or are you just happy to see me?

QeS la':
>This also looks grammatical. But in a recent issue of HolQeD (13.1, I
>believe), we were given the stative verb {vIl} "be ridgy", which may
>refer to foreheads: here, you can substitute it for {HabHa'}.

It definitely applies to foreheads.  Okrand gave us three examples in
variations of the law'/puS comparison in that HolQeD article (HQ 13.1:10):

   QuchlIj vIl law' QuchwIj vIl pIm
   your forehead is not as ridgy as my forehead

   QuchwIj vIl law' QuchlIj vIl puS
   my forehead is ridgier than your forehead

   QuchlIj vIl law'be' QuchwIj vIl puSbe'
   your forehead isn't ridgier than my forehead

Other words we've used WRT foreheads before we knew about {vIl} include
{ghegh} "be rough" and {tlher} "be lumpy".

Elizabeth:
> >HIchop
> >Bite me.

QeS la':
>I recall seeing a T-shirt printed with this phrase on it a little while ago,
>and it made me laugh: whoever designed it obviously had the American English
>phrase "Bite me!" in mind, and had no clue what biting means in Klingon
>culture. {{:)

Klingon males initiate courtship by biting the female (VGR "Someone to
Watch Over Me").

qa'pIn qorghon puqloD:
>I mean would one say "Bite me!" in the Anglo-American way or "Bite me..."
>in a "Give me sugar"/"Come to papa" way... 8-)

lay'tel SIvten:
>A Klingon using a "Give me sugar" intonation?  What a concept!
>I imagine it would sound more like a dare.

Well, Okrand provided this useful phrase in the Radio Times book:

   HIchop, bang.
   Give us a kiss, love.

I wonder what intonation he imagined as he wrote it?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level