tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 03 15:53:52 2005

Re: pickup lines

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Elizabeth:
>chop parmaq 'ej rut ngej 'oH
>love bites, and sometimes it's infectious

It looks grammatical to me. The {'oH} isn't really necessary, since {ngej}
on its own would mean "it is infectious", but it still works fine. The sense
seems reasonable, too.

>HabHa''a' QuchlIj pagh choleghmo' bIQuch'a'
>Is your forehead ridgy or are you just happy to see me?

This also looks grammatical. But in a recent issue of HolQeD (13.1, I
believe), we were given the stative verb {vIl} "be ridgy", which may refer
to foreheads: here, you can substitute it for {HabHa'}.

As well, for "are you JUST happy to see me" rather than "are you happy to
see me?", you could add {neH} to the end (so {choleghmo' bIQuch'a' neH} "are
you merely happy to see me?"), but the sense comes across OK without that.

>HIchop
>Bite me.

I recall seeing a T-shirt printed with this phrase on it a little while ago,
and it made me laugh: whoever designed it obviously had the American English
phrase "Bite me!" in mind, and had no clue what biting means in Klingon
culture. {{:)

So yes, I'd say this is fine too - in fact, knowing the Klingon tendency to
directness, this is probably the most likely "pickup line" you'd hear in a
Klingon bar. No frills - just down to... er... business.

Savan,

QeS la'
taghwI' pabpo' / Beginners' Grammarian

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je