tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 28 09:26:44 2005

Re: untranslated Klingon in ST6

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >> _____:   tlham <chIllu'>  (?)
> >>  (We've lost gravity!)
> >>  [some heard: tlham <chu'>lu' (for chuHa'lu'?)]

ngabwI':
>FWIW, I hear {tlham chIllu'}...

{chIl} "lose, misplace" is used once:

    tlhonchaj chIljaj
    May they lose their nostrils! TKD

Although this is what I heard, I'd be surprised if Okrand simply translated
the idiom literally, as the gravity isn't really misplaced, it's just not on.

Quvar:
> > I definitely hear three syllables:
> > {tlham chu'-Ha'-lu'}

I actually prefer this version:  "the gravity is de-activated/switched off"

The solution may lie somewhere in between:  Okrand may actually have
written {tlham chu'Ha'lu'} but the actor said it quickly so it sounds to
some of us as {tlham chIllu'}.

>Are these lines confirmed? Or are they peiced together from what several
>people have heard?

None of these lines are confirmed.  I transcribed them after several
listenings, supplemented by others' suggestions based on their better
hearing or their better sound system.

The problem with these transcriptions is that sometimes you look a word in
the subtitle up in TKD when you can't make out what the actor is saying -
in this case {chIl} "lose" - and then you convince yourself that you really
are hearing that word when it may turn out to be a different
similarly-sounding word altogether.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons