tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 02 05:04:41 2004

RE: DCKL translation prbleom: pIH (v)

jcowan ([email protected])

-----Original Message-----
From: Quvar
>When I look up the meaning in Webster's, the definition for "suspect"
is=20
"suspicious" and for "suspicious" is "suspect". Translated to German,
both=20
{nub} and {pIH} are "verd=E4chtig".
How can I make the difference?<

My Webster's seems to be missing a definition of suspicious.  At times I
do use the adjective suspicious as a synonym for the adjective suspect.
However, I also use suspicious, at times, to mean "having suspicion".
My guess is that this is the difference Marc was trying to portray in
his selection of definitions.  Apparently the verbs refer to the exact
same thing, but reversing the subjects.  pIH says that the subject is
suspicious of something and nub says the subject causes suspicion.  i.e.
romuluSngan ghaHmo' jIpIH.  romuluSngan ghaHmo' nub ghaH.

Jeremy

Back to archive top level