tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 02 08:20:29 2004

RE: DCKL translation prbleom: pIH (v)

Quvar:
> > When I look up the meaning in Webster's, the definition for "suspect"
> > is "suspicious" and for "suspicious" is "suspect". Translated to Germ=
an,
> > both {nub} and {pIH} are "verd=E4chtig". How can I make the differenc=
e?

This is an old puzzle.

Jeremy:
>My guess is that this is the difference Marc was trying to portray in
>his selection of definitions.  Apparently the verbs refer to the exact
>same thing, but reversing the subjects.  pIH says that the subject is
>suspicious of something and nub says the subject causes suspicion.  i.e.
>romuluSngan ghaHmo' jIpIH.  romuluSngan ghaHmo' nub ghaH.

Possibly.  Unfortunately, Okrand has never used either {pIH} "be=20
suspicious" or {nub} "be suspect" in a Klingon sentence.  FWIW Okrand doe=
s=20
use the adverb "suspiciously" in TKW (p.137):

   qagh Sopbe'
   He doesn't eat gagh!

   Everyone loves gagh, so if one is not eating it, something must be
   wrong. This expression is used to mean that there is something wrong
   with someone or that someone is acting suspiciously... For Klingons
   ... this is a rather mild dismissive remark, not a strong insult.

This may (or may not) hint at Okrand's intention.

Yet another question for Maltz!

--=20
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons=20