tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 14 22:10:18 2004

RE: jIqeq

Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan ([email protected])

From: Jeremy

From: ngabwI'
> I read this as he is allowed to participate only in research meetings
(as opposed to
> recreational meetings).

I assumed this was his intent, but the grammar was not clear to me.  I
read his original sentence as meaning either, "if I just participate
(and not lead, etc.)," or, "if I merely participate (and nothing less)."
Interestingly I've realized that English uses two nearly diametric
definitions (amongst others) for all three of the words given as the
translation of <neH>.  Only, merely, and just can all have the meaning
of, "at the minimum," or of, "at the maximum."  "If I only read the
book..." can mean, "If I do nothing more than read the book..." or it
can mean, "If I at least read the book"  Speaking, I stress the sentence
quite differently depending on the meaning, but written there is no
difference.  And it works exactly the same with merely and just.

So my question is, does the same ambiguity exist in Klingon or have we
established that only one of those meanings is carried by <neH>?

From: De'vId

> I probably have the <neH> in the wrong place.  What I wanted to
express was that I don't have
> money to travel because I'm a student, except for academic conferences
because they're paid
> for by my adviser.  Let's try that again: <QulmeH qepmey vIjeSDI' Huch
nob qeSwI'wI'.  Latlh
> qepmey vIjeSDI' jIHvaD Huch nob pagh.>

Better.  In thinking about how I would write this, my favorite was...
QulmeH qepDaq vIjeSmeH Huch munob qeSwI'wI'
latlh qepDaq vIjeSmeH Huch tu'be'lu'

Jeremy

Back to archive top level