tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 14 13:13:11 2004

RE: jIqeq

At 11:47 AM Thursday 5/13/2004, I wrote:

>Note: {jeS} is "participate" not "participate IN", so you'll need to use
>{-Daq}.  [...]

Qu'vatlh!!  Re-reading my post I noticed to my embarrassment that I made =
a=20
consistent mistake due to the careless use of the copy-and-paste feature =
of=20
my emailer which I see has triggered the predictable series of replies.

Of course, {jeS} should have the "no object" prefix {jI-};  the whole poi=
nt=20
of my comment was that {jeS} probably *doesn't* take an object.

>    QulmeH qep'a'meyDaq vIjeSmeH, Huch nob qeSwI'wI'.
>    My advisor gives money (in order) for me to participate in research
>    conferences.

QulmeH qep'a'meyDaq jIjeSmeH, Huch nob qeSwI'wI'.

>    latlh qep'a'meyDaq vIjeSmeH, jIHvaD Huch nob pagh.
>    No one gives money to me (in order) for me to participate in other
>    conferences.

latlh qep'a'meyDaq jIjeSmeH, jIHvaD Huch nob pagh.

>or if someone wires you the money while you're at the conference:
>
>    QulmeH qepmeyDaq vIjeStaHvIS, Huch nob qeSwI'wI'.
>    My advisor gives money while I'm participating in research conferenc=
es.

QulmeH qepmeyDaq jIjeStaHvIS, Huch nob qeSwI'wI'.

>    latlh qepmeyDaq vIjeStaHvIS, jIHvaD Huch nob pagh.
>    No one gives money to me while I'm participating in other conference=
s.

latlh qepmeyDaq jIjeStaHvIS, jIHvaD Huch nob pagh.

>Some stylistic suggestions:  1) omit the optional plural suffix {-mey}
>since it's not absolutely crucial to refer to multiple conferences (cont=
ext
>will determine if you're talking about a specific, single conference); a=
nd
>2) use the "prefix trick" with {nob}:
>
>    QulmeH qep'a'Daq vIjeSmeH, Huch munob qeSwI'wI'.
>    My advisor gives me money to participate in research conferences.
>    My advisor gives me money to participate in a research conference.

QulmeH qep'a'Daq jIjeSmeH, Huch munob qeSwI'wI'.

>    latlh qep'a'Daq vIjeSmeH, Huch munob pagh.
>    No one gives me money to participate in other conferences.
>    No one gives me money to participate in another conference.

latlh qep'a'Daq jIjeSmeH, Huch munob pagh.

<ahem> <<DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'!>>

Whether {jeS} actually works like I've suggested is unknown, as our only=20
examples of the word come from the problematic "Star Trek: The Experience=
"=20
communique:

   laS veghaS HIltonDaq =ABHov leng: yIjeSchu'=BB qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH
   HIlton yIghoS
   Come celebrate the grand opening of "Star Trek: The Experience" at
   the Las Vegas Hilton. (STX)

   tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch
   Be the first to journey to the 24th century. (STX)

Unfortunately, neither of these clearly answer the question of=20
participating in an event or at a place.

--=20
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons=20

Back to archive top level