tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 14 06:27:38 2004

Re: jIqeq

From: "d'Armond Speers, Ph.D." <[email protected]>

> ghargh ngaSwI' vIpoSmoH vIneHbe', 'ach...

'eeeeyyyy . . . qaaaaaaghghghgh!!

> There's no evidence either way.  For me, the meaning of "in a meeting" and
> "in a room" is different.  In English, we'd say "I participate in a
meeting
> in a room."  But the first "in" feels like a particle, as in "participate
> in," wherease the second one feels like a preposition, as in "in a room."
> don't see a meeting as a physical location where I do something in, like
> participate.
>
> Maybe this is an English-speaker bias, but saying {qepDaq jIjeS} just
> doesn't feel right to me.  OTOH, strictly speaking, {qep vIjeS} "I
> participate the meeting" feels wrong too.  To accept this, one has to
> believe without evidence that {jeS} includes the meaning of "in."  Perhaps
> {pa'Daq qep vIjeS} is right.  I wouldn't criticize anyone for either
choice,
> but perhaps the best course is, as you suggest, to recast without it.

Possible intransitive alternatives for {jeS} (I do not claim they are
foolproof):

qepvaD jIjeS
I participate for the benefit of the meeting.
(This might also apply to custodians who clean up after the guests, etc.)

qep'e' jIjeS
Regarding the meeting: I participate.

qep vIjaH; jIjeS
I go to the meeting and participate.
(Literally:) I go to the meeting; I participate.

SuStel
Stardate 4368.4

Back to archive top level