tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 31 22:35:37 2004

Re: it; SIS

A4773492 ([email protected])

qon weQqul
>i wanted to say "and there are not many of us", (learning this language) but
>i wasn't sure about this construction: <<'ej maH law' tu'lu'be'.>> does
anyone
>have any thoughts on this?
In TKD on page 39, I found this information on tu'lu':
 When used with the verb {tu'} <find, observe> and a third-
person singular subject pronoun (0), the resulting verb form
{tu'lu'} <someone/something finds it> is often translated by En-
glish <there is.>

    {naDev puqpu' tu'lu'} <there are children around here,
                          someone/something finds children
                          here> ({naDev} <hereabouts,> {puqpu'}
                          <children>)

 Then I went digging further and I found this in Power Klingon:
"May you coordinates be free of tribbles."
 {QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.}
A literal translation of this might be:
May there not be any tribbles found in your coordinates. or even better yet:
May someone / something not find  tribbles (a tribble) in your coordinates.

Going back to your question now, I would understand this as possibly being
used here in this construct:
'ej maH law' tu'be'lu'.

I don't know though. It looks wierd to me. That doesn't mean it is wrong. It
just looks wierd.

"Someone doesn't find many of us." Yeah! It looks screwy in English too. No
one finds many of us here would work but I don't think that tu'lu' can be used
in this way, no one vs someone.

Once again, I am not sure and we will just have to wait for someone to let us
know. You bring up a lot of good questions though!

Qapla'!

nov wamwI'
04/01/2004 01:32 (Local Time)
HovpoH 701358.9