tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 31 22:17:46 2004

-Daq with verbs of motion

Dar'Qang ([email protected])

Qes lagh:

 > I'd say that "via" in English is more an instrumental
 > ("by means of") than a locative, and therefore doesn't fall
 > under the umbrella of meanings provided by {-Daq}.

Thanks.  The responses taken together help define for me the concept
discussed in
DloraH's post.  That usage of -Daq isn't in the dictionary, so was new to
me.  Before
seeing the excerpt of that HolQeD discussion, I would have rendered the
concept of
{DujDaq jIjaH} as something like {jIjaH. jIjaHtaHvIS Duj vIlo'} or some such.

I (now) take the {lojmIt} examples as a case were the concept doesn't apply.

However, I currently believe the following /would/ be included as example
of  -Daq/verb of motion usage as discussed in the HolQeD excerpt:

chobDaq jIjaH.
'ochDaq jIjaH.
chobDaq pa' vIjaH.
'ochDaq veng vIjaH.

I think that {'ochDaq veng vI'el} would be within the bounds of the usage,
but I'm
less certain about {chobDaq pa' vI'el}.

All corrections accepted. :-)

Dar'Qang