tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 31 22:56:22 2004

Re: -Daq with verbs of motion

A4773492 ([email protected])

qon Dar'Qang
>Thanks.  The responses taken together help define for me the concept
>discussed in
>DloraH's post.  That usage of -Daq isn't in the dictionary, so was new to
>me.  Before
>seeing the excerpt of that HolQeD discussion, I would have rendered the
>concept of
>{DujDaq jIjaH} as something like {jIjaH. jIjaHtaHvIS Duj vIlo'} or some such.

>I (now) take the {lojmIt} examples as a case were the concept doesn't apply.

>However, I currently believe the following /would/ be included as example
>of  -Daq/verb of motion usage as discussed in the HolQeD excerpt:

>chobDaq jIjaH.
>'ochDaq jIjaH.
>chobDaq pa' vIjaH.
>'ochDaq veng vIjaH.

>I think that {'ochDaq veng vI'el} would be within the bounds of the usage,
>but I'm
>less certain about {chobDaq pa' vI'el}.

>All corrections accepted. :-)

>I would have rendered the concept of {DujDaq jIjaH} as something like
{jIjaH. jIjaHtaHvIS >Duj vIlo'} or some such.

I see this as " I go on the ship." " I use the ship to go." The same as what
you wrote basically. <jIjaH. jIjaHtaHvIS >Duj vIlo'> " I go. While I go, I use
the ship."

>I think that {'ochDaq veng vI'el} would be within the bounds of the usage,
>but I'm
>less certain about {chobDaq pa' vI'el}.

I fail to see a difference here. If there is one, could someone point it out
to me?

1. <'ochDaq veng vI'el.> "I enter the city via the tunnel."
2. <chobDaq pa' vI'el> "I enter the room via the corridor."

Qapla'!

nov wamwI'
04/01/2004 01:52 (Local Time)
HovpoH 701359.0