tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 14:07:35 2004

Re: multiple verb suffixes

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Lieven Litaer wrote:
> We seem to forget the Rover {-qu'}, described in section 4.3 of TKD:

A capital idea!

> > One can go through the variations:
> > I need to start causing it to form.
>
> {chen} is "take form"
> {chenmoH} is "cause to take form" = "form"

In English "form" can be an intransitive verb:

"I formed a group."   (transitive) /ghom vIchenmoH/
"A group formed." (intransitive)  Could be either:  /chen ghom/ or
                                                    /ghom chenmoHlu'/

The TKD defined /chen/ as "build up, take form", which uses the English
"form" in its noun form.  But "take form" and "form" are effectively the
same.

Or do you think there's a connotational difference between "take form" and
the intransitive verb form (pardon the pun) of "form"?

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
       "When ideas fail, words come in very handy." -- Goethe

Back to archive top level