tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 13:45:56 2004

Re: multiple verb suffixes

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

> > > {vIchennISchoHmoH} - is there only one interpretation, or a bunch
> based on context?
> > A bunch, based on context.

We seem to forget the Rover {-qu'}, described in section 4.3 of TKD:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  {-qu'} "emphatic"

  This suffix emphasizes or affirms whatever immediately precedes it.
[...]

  The roving nature of {-qu'} can be seen in the following set:

    {pIHoHvIpbe'qu'} "we are NOT afraid to kill you"
    {pIHoHvIpqu'be'} "we are not AFRAID to kill you"
    {pIHoHqu'vIpbe'} "we are not afraid to KILL you"

[...]

The first word above might be used after an enemy challenged the bravery of
the speaker. The second might be followed by an explanation such as, "We are
not willing to kill you because we require your services." The third word
would be used to emphasize killing, as opposed to some other form of punishment.

> One can go through the variations:
> I need to start causing it to form.

{chen} is "take form"
{chenmoH} is "cause to take form" = "form"

Quvar.