tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 12:13:49 2004

Re: Opinions needed on Klingon pIqaD keyboard mapping

ruehli ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Von:     Qov <[email protected]>
> Press this                  to get this
> ------------------             ---------------------
>
> q                         q symbol
> Q                              Q symbol

I'd prefer the SHIFT key to not have any effect on *any*
of the letter keys, and having k/K for {q}, I'd like to have
both q/Q for {Q}

you're getting used to a new writing system anyway,
so learning that "q" doesn't yield {q} but {Q} is only a
small part of this (IMO, of course)

> k                               q symbol
> K                              q symbol

> H                              H symbol
> h                               does *nothing*, to prevent people from
> typing chh and ghh all the time
> g                               gh symbol
I'd use h/H for {gh} and x/X for {H} (both cyrillic and IPA
symbols for the sound of {H} look similar to x or X}

> N                              ng symbol
> f                                ng symbol
because I use h/H rather than g/G for {gh}, I have
g/G free to use for {ng}

> x                               tlh symbol
> T                               tlh symbol
> z                               '
that leaves (with my scheme) f/F and z/Z for {tlh} and {'}
I have no preference one way or the other, but I use z/Z
for {tlh}, because in my native German "z" is pronounced "ts"
and that's as close as it gets to {tlh} in a single letter :)

> All other letters           corresponding symbol, regardless of whether
> upper or lower case is typed.

that makes for the following layout on an american keyboard:

Q w e r t y u I o p
a S D ' ng gh j q l
tlh H ch v b n m

(maybe reverse ' and tlh)

I have no idea how well this works for touch typing, but with
' close to the middle it can't be that bad :)

Marc Ruehlaender
aka HomDoq
[email protected]

Back to archive top level