tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 12:56:51 2004

Re: KLBC numbering

> > nov wamwI'
> > "You can find this information in the Klingon Language dictionary on
> page 34."
> > wejmaH loS pageDaq tlhIngan Hol mu'ghomDaq  De'vam Datu'laH.
> >
> > Question: Did  I use the locative (Daq), meaning "in" "at" or "on" on
> both of
> > the words (mu'ghom) and (page) correctly or should I have just used it
> on one
> > or the other? In that case, which one?

FYI:  many of us use {nav} "paper" for a (paper) "page" in a book,
particularly when quoting from TKD.

ngabwI':
>As for your use of {-Daq} above, I have no problem with it. While I don't
>believe we have any examples from canon of more than one {-Daq} noun in a
>single sentence, I can't think of any reason why it would be disallowed.

AFAIK, we have three such examples:

   tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
   1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World (KBoP)

"in the Klingon District, on the Klingon Home World"

   poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
   The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9

"while warriors stand on the left (side) and on the right (side)..."

   loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
   Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. STX

"while you are traveling in space, inside a shuttlecraft ..."

Examples of {-Daq} on a number:

   nImbuS wejDaq 'ejDo' 'entepray' ngeHlu'pu'
   The starship Enterprise has been dispatched to Nimbus III (ST5)

   <<Qo'noS wa'>>Daq baHta' ['entepray']
   "Enterprise fired on Kronos One..."  (ST6)

   qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'.
   (MO to SuStel, st.klingon 11/96 [untranslated])

   ngongmeH wa' DujDaq nuHmey nISbe'bogh So'wI' jomlu'pu'
   [A cloaking device which didn't disrupt weaponry was installed in one
    experimental ship.] S33 (untranslated on card)

>That being said, I would probably have translated this as
>
>   {tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom *page* wejmaH loSDaq}
>   "On page 34 of the Klingon Dictionary"
>
>Strictly for the sake of clarity. }}: )

Agreed; though with the two {-Daq}s, this would be "in TKD, on page 34"
which is fine too.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons