tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 15 07:23:18 2004

Re: headless {-bogh}?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SIvten:

>what is the {-bogh} in the following sentence referring to?
><Dajatlhbogh vIyajlaHbe'
>I find no match for what you just said. KCD

This crops up here from time to time, and it's a valid (and interesting)
question.

This is the only example of a possible truly headless relative clause that
we have. Most believe that it refers to an elided {Doch}, an over-literal
translation, or a combination of the two; I tend to think that an
over-literal translation was the culprit here.

I sometimes wonder, though, whether an explicit pronoun can't itself be the
head (and therefore the above is a usage of a normal agreement marker as a
full pronoun, thus another elision). While I suspect that only nouns are
possible, maybe someone more expert can clarify: Can explicit pronouns be
the heads of relative clauses, or only true nouns?

However, this sentence wasn't even used in the final language lab, IIRC. In
short, headless relatives are a rare beast in Klingon, if they do in fact
exist at all. While they *appear* to be comprehensible to Standard-speakers,
I steer well clear of them due to their rarity (as I said, this is the only
example we have), and I'd generally advise others to do the same.

Savan.

QeS lagh

Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2

Back to archive top level