tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 06 13:29:17 2004

Re: Did Hoch, now pagh...

>From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
>/SID pagh/ might be "none of the patient" or "patient zero", but
>/SIDpu' pagh/ is likely best translated as "none of the patients".
>
>I'd venture to conjecture that if /pagh/ is the second part of a noun-noun
>construction, where the first noun is plural (or inherently plural), it
>can always be perceived as "none of".  If the first noun is singular, the
>question is probably still up in the air.

I think whoever suggested that {pagh} would be interpreted as "zero" is
right.  No matter what the context, I'm sure {SID pagh} would look like
"patient number zero" to me.  Yes, you can claim that context will
distinguish it, or that some grammatical trick might make it unambiguous,
but it will never appear that way when you first read it, no matter what the
trick.

SuStel
Stardate 4180.4

One-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? download MSN Toolbar now!