tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 07 16:01:23 2004

Re: Did Hoch, now pagh...

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

qon Quvar:
>At the qepHom, we also talked about the word {Hoch}, related to the
>question,
>if one could attach {-be'}
>to a noun like {Hoch}, meaning "not all". The answer is NO of course, but
>how
>do you say
>
>    "Not all Klingons have a beard"
>    (i.e. most do have, but not all)
>
>without getting the phrase
>    "All Klingons don't have a beard."
>    (i.e. no klingon has a beard)
>
>Do you see the problem?
>Any problem??
>ambiguity?

Well you can sidestep the issue by recasting as:
     <rol ghajbe' 'op tlhInganpu'>
     "Some Klingons do not have a beard."

Okay, that's cheating.  But how about the following analysis:

     <rol ghaj Hoch tlhIngan>
     "Each Klingon (individually) has a beard."

     <rol ghajbe' Hoch tlhIngan>
     "Each Klingon (individually) does not have a beard."
     Or: "No Klingon has a beard."

     <rol ghaj Hoch tlhInganpu'>
     "All Klingons (as a group) have beards."

     <rol ghajbe' Hoch tlhInganpu'>
     "All Klingons (as a group) do not have beards."
     Or: *"Not all Klingons have a beard." (possibly ambiguous)

Doesn't the last one mean what you want?  The way I would
understand <rol ghajbe' Hoch tlhInganpu'> would be "Not
all Klingons have a beard, i.e. some do, but not all.".
For "all Klingons do not have a beard", i.e. "no Klingon has
a beard", I would understand that as <rol ghajbe' Hoch
tlhIngan>.  Although the suggested sentence could *possibly*
be interpreted ambiguously.  What do others think?

--
De'vID

MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*