tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 09:32:36 2004

Re: Klingon Honor Guard

Voragh:
> >>'avwl'batlh
> >
> >"guard's honor, honor of the guard" (possesive)
> >
> >"Honor guard" would be a noun-noun phrase: {batlh 'avwI'}.  Someone else,
> >in fact, has already back-translated the title of this game as *{tlhIngan
> >batlh 'avwI'} "Klingon Honor Guard".

De'vID:
>But is "Honor Guard" a type of guard that protects honor, or a type of
>guard who is honored (i.e. an elite guard, if you will)?  In the latter
>case, it would be <'avwI' quv>.

Good question.  Is an Honor Guard 1) an honored guard {'avwI' quv}; 2) an
elite guard {'avwI' nIv} (i.e. a "superior" guard?); 3) a guard of honor
{batlh/quv 'avwI'}?  Replace {'avwI'} "a guard" with *{'avwI'ghom} to refer
to the Guard(s) collectively.

> >>"matay' molor mangghom/mey Qaw'lu"
> >
> >I'm not sure what they're trying to say here.  What there is (with the
> >necessary changes) means:
> >
> >    matay';  molor mangghompu' luQaw'lu'.
> >    "We are together; Molor's cadets are destroyed."
> >
> >    matay';  molor mangghompu' luqawlu'.
> >    "We are together; Molor's cadets are remembered."
>
>Wait -- is the word <mangghom> "army" or <mangHom> "cadet"? This being a
>game based (presumably) on entrance to the Klingon Honor Guard, it might
>be talking about "cadet"s, but it could also be talking about an "army".

Or "armies" (plural):  "Molor's armies are (will be) destroyed" certainly
makes more sense.

> >What is the context for this line in the rule booklet?  What does Molor
> >have to do with the game?
>
>I would like to know as well.

Does anyone know if the player (presumable role-playing a member of the
Klingon Honor Guard) fights Molor and/or his armies in the game?  If so,
this would be strange indeed considering that Molor ruled ca. 1000-1500
years before the 23rd century (depending on which chronology you use),
making this a historical game played with pre-"modern" weapons (i.e. no
energy weapons).  Perhaps Molor still has followers in the 23rd/24th
century "present".  (Now that would be an interesting idea:  an
underground, anti-Kahless movement on Kronos!)

> >>Dun vajpu' DusQmey
> >
> >"the warriors' schools {DuSaQmey} are wonderful/great"
>
>I think that <Dun> is supposed to be adjectival here: "The Schools of the
>Great (Wonderful) Warriors".  Given the placement of verbs in the previous
>sentences there's no reason to assume that the verb is in the correct
>place here.

Always a possibility when trying to decipher {Paramount Hol} as we
sometimes call it here.  Typically the writers just look up words in the
TKD glossary and just plug them uninflected or unconjugated into English
word order.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons