tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 03 20:40:58 2004

Re: Klingon Honor Guard

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>'avwl'batlh
>
>"guard's honor, honor of the guard" (possesive)
>
>"Honor guard" would be a noun-noun phrase: {batlh 'avwI'}.  Someone else,
>in fact, has already back-translated the title of this game as *{tlhIngan
>batlh 'avwI'} "Klingon Honor Guard".

But is "Honor Guard" a type of guard that protects honor, or a type
of guard who is honored (i.e. an elite guard, if you will)?  In
the latter case, it would be <'avwI' quv>.

>>"Qo'nos' noS rogvaH toy: jiH Suvwl' mey ghojmoH."
>
>If this is to be read together with the first bit, then:
>
>    Qo'noS roghvaH lutoy'meH, SuvwI'pu' vIghojmoH jIH.
>    *I* teach warriors in order for them to serve Kronos' population.
>
>    Qo'noS roghvaH lutoy' SuvwI'pu' 'e' vIghojmoH jIH.
>    *I* teach that warriors serve Kronos' population.
>    *I* teach warriors to serve Kronos' population.

Perhaps this bit goes together with the bit below?  I think the
two sentences were joined in the original message.

And maybe <jIH> is being used for "monitor": "serve the Kronos
population: monitor warriors learning!"  (jIqID neH.)

>>"matay' molor mangghom/mey Qaw'lu"
>
>I'm not sure what they're trying to say here.  What there is (with the
>necessary changes) means:
>
>    matay';  molor mangghompu' luQaw'lu'.
>    "We are together; Molor's cadets are destroyed."
>
>    matay';  molor mangghompu' luqawlu'.
>    "We are together; Molor's cadets are remembered."

Wait -- is the word <mangghom> "army" or <mangHom> "cadet"?
This being a game based (presumably) on entrance to the Klingon
Honor Guard, it might be talking about "cadet"s, but it could
also be talking about an "army".

Maybe the two bits together are supposed to mean: "Serving the
Kronos population, I teach warriors, and together we will
destroy Molor and his army"?  <matay'> seems to be an attempt
at "together", but does it mean "I and the warriors (whom I
teach) together" or "Molor (together with) his army"?  Just
because the <ma-> is in front of <tay'> doesn't necessary
mean that it's talking about "I and ...".  Whoever wrote the
sentence could have recycled it from some canon Klingon,
e.g. <matay'DI' vIHtaHbogh bIQ rur mu'qaDmey>.

>What is the context for this line in the rule booklet?  What does Molor
>have to do with the game?

I would like to know as well.

>>Dun vajpu' DusQmey
>
>"the warriors' schools {DuSaQmey} are wonderful/great"

I think that <Dun> is supposed to be adjectival here: "The Schools
of the Great (Wonderful) Warriors".  Given the placement of
verbs in the previous sentences there's no reason to assume
that the verb is in the correct place here.

--
De'vID