tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 05 06:24:26 2004

Re: [KLBC] "I love you" word (sentence) order

Thorwald Peeters ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

<quote who="Scott Willis">

>> I do have one more question though... seeing as both {par} and {muS} are
>> verbs conveying negative emotions, would it not be better to use {-be'},
>> as -Ha' carries the sense of something being changed, (undo/done wrong)
>> and -be' simple means "oposite" (Hate, unhate). where with {muSHa'} you
>> would have to hate first, with {muSbe'} you just *not* hate...

> To me, this is exactly what makes these utterances "Klingon". Klingons
> don't assume you like something, they assume a dislike.
I guess it sounds more logical, as One is not trusted by default, trust
needs to be earned. So do being liked and love...

Although I don't like the notion of Klingons looking at all things from
the (perceived by humans) negative angle, I realise now they do...

> If I didn't like someone I worked with, I would say {qamuSbe'} "I do not
> hate you", but that doesn't necessarily mean I like them, either.
> But, in the end, it is your choice. }}: )

To me, noting the above, that sounds too sneaky. I would just say {qapar}!
No need to walk around something if you can go through it...

> --ngabwI'
> Beginners' Grammarian,
> Klingon Language Institute
> http://kli.org/