tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 03 15:42:58 2004

Re: Testing.

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Steven Boozer wrote:
> Why do you have to translate all 18,000 words?  Why not an abbreviated
> translation with just the basics, at least for a start?  You could leave
> legalese about copyright, liability, etc. in small print in English at the
> bottom of the page.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting with...  Most of the words come in the help
files and such, which most people don't see on a regular basis anyway.

> Or just use an existing word {QonoS} "journal, log".

That's perfect.  I can't believe I didn't think of that one.

> >However, there are a few concepts/words I'm not sure about.  Since they
> >come up a LOT, it'd be great to get some concensus on what good
> >translations would be for:
> >
> >"subscribe"
>
> {jeS} "participate"
>
> *{jeSchoH} "start/begin to participate; join in"

Problem is, blogs are not participatory; they're one-sided news feeds.  If
I were back translating the Yahoo Groups site again, that'd be perfect,
but blogs are read-only...  participation doesn't seem to fit, to me.

> >"subscription"
>
> That one's tough.

Good, it's not just me.  ;)

> Another verb to consider is {muv} "join (physically)", which can refer to
> (physically) joining a group:

I've been using /muv/ quite a bit myself, though usually for registration
with Bloglines, not the individual blogs...

> Just {yIchel} would be confusing.  Add what?  {pong[lIj] yIchel} "add
> [your] name".

Well, it's context, right?  The word "subscribe" is usually either a link
next to a blog entry, so "Add it" would make sense; or it's a form-submit
button, where you would've checked one or more blogs to subscribe to...  I
think this might still be okay, because of the context of the rest of the
page...

I've translated a bunch more of the site, hopefully that'll get pushed out
live tonight or sometime this weekend.

Apparently I've been tasked with writing a search engine from scratch in
the next 6 weeks, so I'm not sure how much fiddling with the translation
I'll actually be able to do...  (Ah, the ups and downs of being the sole
paid employee...)

...Paul

     ** Read my Blog:  http://www.bloglines.com/blog/CryoMax **
      "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -- Walt Disney

Back to archive top level