tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 03 15:28:53 2004

Re: Testing.

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh wrote:
> > Why not put some of it on the list?  Maybe it'll spur some discussion.

Paul:
>Problem is, the text of the site comprises about 18,000 words (or so says
>the professional translators who did the other languages).

Why do you have to translate all 18,000 words?  Why not an abbreviated
translation with just the basics, at least for a start?  You could leave
legalese about copyright, liability, etc. in small print in English at the
bottom of the page.

>However, there are a couple of things that keep coming up that I would
>love some input on:
>I'm thinking I'll leave the word "blog" as-is, just make it colloquial.

Qov calls her blog *{bo logh}.  Cf.
<http://bologh.blogspot.com/>http://bologh.blogspot.com

You could do it phonetically as *{bIlagh}, i.e. B'log if you like.  Cf.
{ghIlab ghew} "glob fly".

Or just use an existing word {QonoS} "journal, log".

>However, there are a few concepts/words I'm not sure about.  Since they
>come up a LOT, it'd be great to get some concensus on what good
>translations would be for:
>
>"subscribe"

{jeS} "participate"

*{jeSchoH} "start/begin to participate; join in"

>"subscriber"

*{jeSwI'}  "participant; member"

>"subscription"

That one's tough.

Another verb to consider is {muv} "join (physically)", which can refer to
(physically) joining a group:

   batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.
   Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet... (Anthem)

   jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH
   Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to beam
aboard! STX

{muvmoH} is the verb "recruit" and the noun is {ghuv} "a recruit".

>I can get around "subscribe" in many cases by using /chel/ "add" (instead
>of the subscribe button saying "Subscribe" I could say, "yIchel"), so
>that's not as key.

Just {yIchel} would be confusing.  Add what?  {pong[lIj] yIchel} "add
[your] name".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons