tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 26 16:31:24 2004

Re: Need some suggestions

ja' qurgh:
>I'm trying to make a little mini tlhIngan Hol Beginners guide for a RPG group
>I'm with and I'm thinking of giving them 20 verbs and 40 nouns to learn to get
>started. I'm a bit stumped on which words to pick though. (They'll get a
>prefix
>and cut down suffix guide too)

Unless they *really* want to study, I think 60 words is a bit much to hit
them with all at once.  I'd cut it down to something they can handle in one
sitting, and make the rest of the words "supplemental" vocabulary.

In preparation for a qep'a' some years ago, there was a quick effort to put
together a beginners' word list.  The idea was to pick six words or affixes
in each of a few categories, expecting them to be usable in conversation.
I don't remember what the "personals" were intended to be; perhaps they
were just my own favorites in addition to the words I thought everyone
should know at first.  Here's what I have in my notes:

	verbs:
neH jaH jatlh yaS QaH Sop
	nouns:
paq pa' nuv Soj Doch vay'