tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 26 15:57:02 2004

Re: waH

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>I don't think they are the same.  Both {'Iv} and {SoH} can be verbs, but
>both sentences only work when the verb is second.

jangpu' Paul:
>I don't understand what you're saying here.  Why do these sentences only
>work if the verb is second?
>/'Iv SoH/  - verb could be /'Iv/ "You (are who)?" or /SoH/  "(You are)
>who?"
>/SoH 'Iv/  - verb could be /SoH/ "Who (are you)?" or /'Iv/ "(Who are) you?"
>Given that, this doesn't affect at all how these could be negated --
>although with the addition of the negative suffix, the verb becomes
>identifiable:

Klingon grammar demands that the subject of a copular sentence takes the
suffix {-'e'}. Hence, if the verb in the sentence {SoH 'Iv} is the pronoun
{SoH}, then the question word {'Iv} must take the suffix {-'e'}, because it
is in the subject position. In the same way, if {'Iv} is the verb in {'Iv
SoH}, the pronoun {SoH} must take {-'e'}:

??{'Iv SoH'e'} "who are you?"
??{SoH 'Iv'e'} "who are you?"

And as lay'tel SIvten has pointed out previously, pronouns-as-verbs have an
inherent subject agreement in them. {jIH} doesn't just mean "to be X", it
means "I am X". For this reason, pronouns-as-verbs can't sensibly take
subjects, unless the pronoun-as-verb is third person, in which case they can
take semantically sensible subjects: {tlhIngan jatlhwI' ghaH Holtej'e'}
"Holtej is a Klingon speaker".

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level