tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 30 14:55:30 2004

Re: Need some suggestions

Lieven L. Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

ja' qurgh:
>> I'm trying to make a little mini tlhIngan Hol Beginners guide for a RPG
>> group
>> I'm with and I'm thinking of giving them 20 verbs and 40 nouns to learn
>> to get
>> started.

It also depends one what they need for their rpg.

At this (first time ever) five-day-long Qetlop I had the opportunity to
host five qepHommey. I tought them words to order a drink, to say what the
want and I game them just a few prefixes only, like, jI-bI - and vI-Da-qa-.
Those are enough to start. Then just -'a' -be' -laH.  With this, they could
have a conversation, using just some verbs and nouns.
It's no use to teach them un-useful, long or complicated phrases from tkw
or the word list, but pick the simple sentences and show them how to
replace the words to say what they want. For instance, many people I met at
the *Qetlop* used to yell {tlhIngan maH}, without knowing what it means.
After I explained how that sentnces works, it was easier to remember that
the object comes before the verb.

And {nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'} is a must, somehow I think. I don't know why,
but they always have fun learning this sentence.

Good Luck - Qapla'.

Quvar.

learn Klingon in five minutes!
---> http:/www.qepHom.de   ;-)