tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 22 22:32:36 2004

Re: {qon} vs {gher}

Dar'Qang ([email protected])

At 10:07 AM 8/21/2004, ngabwI' wrote:
> [...]

Poor sentence on my part. The 'it' refers to a news wire report.

The struggle for me is that by the description of {gher}, a news wire
report would seem to be a {gher}.  But that seems to erode the nifty idea
that Qov / MO were describing about the Klingon view of composition being
encountering the song/poem "out there" and then recording it. (because the
latter seems somewhat like {gher} now.)

>Not too long ago, I was given two very valuable pieces of advice in this
>language:
>Voragh told me that much of the language is based on "how it feels". If you
>go around trying to analyze it to death, you're going to drive yourself
>nuts.
>And while I was wrestling with the "proper" object of {ja'}(the thing told
>or the person told), SuStel advised me that until we learn otherwise, use
>{ja'} however you are comfortable using it.
>
>What arose from these two tidbits was (for me) a new way of looking at
>Klingon.
>
>Go with your gut. {DujlIj yIvoq!} Many of our questions haven't been
>answered yet. If we haven't been told the "one true way", no one can say
>your usage is wrong.

maj.  Excellent advice!  In reality {gher} and {qon} are used how they are
used by Klingons, including accepted convention and custom, which often
isn't reducible by analysis.

majQa' BG!

Dar'Qang
qo''a'lIj DachenmoHtaH