tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 22 22:01:43 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: toy'wI''a' (n)

Dar'Qang ([email protected])

At 07:48 PM 8/21/2004, Qes lagh wrote:
>ghItlhpu' Dar'Qang:
>

> >FWIW, I listened to the passage several times, and what I hear is:
> >{DIHIvbej.  qo'chajDaq toy'wI'ta' DImoj.}
> >(I assume the 'ta' is a slight pronounciation error.)
>
>Fair assumption. Phonetically, what I thought I heard was {toywItaj DImoj}
>(without glottal stops). But I should probably watch this scene again, and
>pay a little more attention this time. {{:) I'll return in the next couple
>of days to report on my findings, including context (as you suggest later in
>this message).

To be honest, I took the glottal stops for granted.  You may be correct
that they aren't actually pronounced.  One other thing that I forgot to
mention is that the actor pronounces the final 'j' in {DImoj} with the 'zh'
sound for j. (not that it's important to the topic).

I only happened to have just recorded ST VI, and it turns out I was
specifically interested in this scene.  Several months back ST VI appeared
on TV, and for that viewing I closed my eyes during the tlhIngan Hol scenes
to see if I could understand without seeing the subtitles.  I couldn't
understand this particular scene at all except that I detected a law'/puS
sentence.  However, one thing that struck me about the tlhIngan Hol
interchange in the scene - (don't laugh!) - is that the language sounded
*gorgeous*.

I quickly decided that, alas, the actors are probably mispronouncing. }}:-P

My intention was to analyze the scene to see if there is any pronounciation
that I would want to use as a model for my own.  I haven't worked the scene
out yet, but no glottal stops and a French-sounding {DImoj} wouldn't be a
good sign.

I would be most interested in your (or any other expert's) opinions about
the pronounciation in that scene.

Dar'Qang
HeghlumeH QaQ zhazhvam

Back to archive top level