tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 13 22:22:31 2004

Re: puvlI'bogh (was Re: nughI')

ja' Quvar:
>it's dutch, but there is no difference anyway. In both languages people can
>"drive" or "fly" to a location, although it's the car that drives and the
>plane which flies.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say anymore.  You seem to be agreeing
that people can drive or fly, but also saying that it's not really true.

However, if you're trying to explain what you mean by "fly" by saying that
cars "drive", I think we've found another mismatched concept.  Consider
what the official word is for the person at the controls of a car:
"driver".  It's perfectly proper and non-idiomatic.  The people inside the
car drive, not the car itself.

Aside from that, though, the people inside an airplane fly.  I even checked
two dictionaries -- one paper, one online -- to make sure I wasn't
confusing my own private definitions for the officially published ones. :-)

>I'm being too exact, I guess, when I say that "drive" is misused for
>"navigate", and "fly" for "travel through the air".
>When you travel through the water, would one say "swim"? No, because people
>can actually do that.

I don't follow.that last bit at all.

>> More importantly, though:  what meaning does Maltz understand? :-)
>
>Yeaah! That's the point!

Since the Klingon word {puv} was devised and described by someone whose
native language is American English, I'm going to assume it means the same
thing as the English word "fly", which definitely can describe people
riding in an airplane.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level