tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 11 01:45:30 2004

Re: puvlI'bogh (was Re: nughI')

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

> rapchugh "fly" "vliegen" je, vaj jIyajbe'taH.

as I said, I'm just nitpicking, be it in dutch, german, english - or
Klingon. The plane flies, the passenger sits or walks in it.

> >chaq DujDaq puvlu' 'ach puvlaH ghot 'e' vIpon.

> nuqjatlh?

jIjatlhHa' jay': puvlaH ghot 'e' vIHon.

> quSDaq bIba'.  Trains don't walk, for one thing (and 100 mph is rather
> faster than any train *I* have ridden, for another).

The fastest french train I know (TGV) can do almost 200 mph.

> But the passengers are traveling at 100 mph too!

It's relativity: inside the train/plane, you stand still or walk just a few
miles per hour.

> If they weren't, the
> train would leave them behind.  Same for the plane.

So if I travel in a train with the speed of light, I travel with the speed
of light, right? Then, if I run through the train from the back to the front
waggon, do I travel faster than the speed of light??  ;-)

> in English (or at least the English *I* use) and what "vliegen" means in
> German.

it's dutch, but there is no difference anyway. In both languages people can
"drive" or "fly" to a location, although it's the car that drives and the
plane which flies.

> When I say "fly", I mean something like "travel through the air".
> What meaning do you understand,

I was focussing on the original meaning, what birds do, flies, or maybe a
leaf. Every child knows that people cannot literally "fly", and it has
always been a wish of humans to be able to fly.

> and how does it keep people from flying?

I'm being too exact, I guess, when I say that "drive" is misused for
"navigate", and "fly" for "travel through the air".
When you travel through the water, would one say "swim"? No, because people
can actually do that.

> More importantly, though:  what meaning does Maltz understand? :-)

Yeaah! That's the point!

Next question the comes to my mind: is that verb a transitive one? In German
one can "fly an airplane"...

PS & NB: I accept that one can say "fly to L.A.", but it's an interesting
detail to discuss about. No fight, just talk. ;-)

Quvar.