tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 26 09:42:58 2003

{ghel} vs. {tlhob} vs. {yu'} [was Re: KLBC nuqneH!]

Quvar:
> > {yu'} is a verb "question, interrogate", not a noun.
> > We have no noun for "a question".

Senara:
>Can you explain me the difference between the words "tlhob", "yu'" and "ghel"?

You're not alone in wondering how these verbs are used:

   In the original edition of TKD, we have {tlhob} "ask". The addendum
   gave it the expanded meaning of "request, ask, plead". Now KGT gives
   us {ghel} "ask (a question)". Which one do we use as a verb of saying,
   and why? Is there a proper way to use either or both in a non-saying
   way?  [ghunchu'wI']

   What I wanted to do with {tlhob} and {ghel} is to distinguish between
   two different meanings for the English verb "ask". There are two
   "ask's". There's the "ask" where you ask a question and there's "ask"
   where you make a request. I wanted it to be two different verbs, though
   apparently there are times when the "request" verb is used to ask a
   question as well. So maybe the way it works is that {ghel} can ask a
   question and only as a question and the other one can mean that and is
   also used to request or plead or something like that. [Okrand, HQ 7:4]

tlhob  ask, request, plead

   lutlhob «naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?»
   They ask him, "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?" PK

   juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob
   I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship
   ("I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of commander
     of this ship.") KGT

   qatlhob
   I ask you. STC:KLS

ghel  ask (a question) KGT

   [no known examples]

yu'  question, interrogate

   qayu'
   I interrogate you. STC:KLS

Although not mentioning {yu'} explicitly, this bit of slang from KGT may be
relevant:

   This verb [{luH}] literally means "yank" and is used in such sentences
   as {jav luHpu' 'avwI'} ("The guard has caused a prisoner to confess"--
   literally, "The guard has yanked a six"). Standard words expressing the
   same notions are {DISmoH} ("cause to confess") and {peghHa'moH} ("cause
   to not keep a secret"). (KGT 153)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons