tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 26 08:32:44 2003

Re: KLBC nuqneH!

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

jaj 26.11.2003 rep 14:42:39, ghItlh "Andrew Marrington" <[email protected]>:

>Thanks for the greetings and words of wisdom, Quvar!

You're welcome, or speaking Klingon: {qay'be'} "it's no problem"

>I figured it was a strange way to start an e-mail, but I wasn't sure what
>would be the appropriate "first greeting" to the list. :)

Hm... "hello" is heard very frequently ;-)

If you want to sound klingon, imagine a Klingon entering the room, shouting "Hey, listen! I'm new!"
   {peqIm} "Attention! (all of you)"
   {peQoy} "Listen!"
   {DaH pelaD} "Read now!"

Isn't that what you do when you say "hello"? You try to catch someone's attention.
Klingons are not unpolite, they're just very direct.

>"Yesterday, I asked you to read my *rolaD bom* (Song of Roland). Now, I have
>read the frequently asked questions and know not to try to translate the
>Song of Roland yet, but perhaps, with luck, somebody will respond to that
>(ie my rolaD bom e-mail)."

Such a long sentence should be recast into several small ones.
If you don't know how to translate (I don't either) "the frequently asked questions", just write
{*FAQ* vIlaD}, and everyone understands.

>Yes, I certainly should've been using the plural! My dishonour is eternal!

Then you need to find a replacement proverb, to replace your honor!

>Alas! :) I was trying to come up with something to say good bye, and the
>best I could think of saying was "I leave you". How should one say goodbye?

{ghoS} means roughly "proceed", moving from one place to another.
The verb for "leave" is {mej}
   {DaH jImej}
   "Now I leave"

>Something about hoping the reader dies with honour perhaps? A simple
>"Qapla'!"?

{Qapla'} is the only sendoff we know so far, but it's not the same as "goodbye". It means "success".
Klingons use it in the sense of "Good luck" i.e. "Success in your upcoming battle"

A better word, especially in emails, might be {pItlh} "it's finished, that's it" or {rIn} "it's over"

>>   ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH
>
>I read this as "I care about my students". jIlugh'a'?

bIlugh.
This is an adaption the the famous proverb from TKW:
   {ghojwI'pu'lI' tISaH}
   "Care about your students"

pItlh.

Quvar