tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 27 11:28:19 2003

Re: KLBC: {cha'}?

From: "Quvar valer (Lieven)" <[email protected]>

> Am 07.05.2003 15:16:14, schrieb "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>:
>
> >We do have an appropriate word: /gheS/ "take on the duties of."  It
doesn't
> >imply going from a lesser rank to a greater rank, but it will work for
this
> >sentence:
> >
> >gheS'eghmoH *Napoleon*.  voDleH moj.
> >Napoleon made himself take on the duties of emperor.
> >(Literally, "Napoleon made himself take on duties.  He became emperor.")
>
> I've read it over an over, and I do not like it. I can't tell why, but it
looks wrong. I see {gheS} as
> "assume duties of" and I think it cannot stand alone.
> The object of {gheS} is the duty which one takes.
>
> [tkd: suffix {-'egh} ... is used to indicate that the action described by
the verb affects the performer
> of the action, the subject. It is translated by English "self."]
>
> {gheS'egh} "he assumes duties of himself"???
>
> Maybe I'm stuck somewhere, please convince me!  :-)

If I were allowed to rearrange the suffixes on the verb, you'd accept it:

*gheSmoH'egh

Just as you undoubtedly accept /chennISmoH/ as "need to make."  (Yes, it
might also mean "cause to need to take form.")

The suffixes must be used in the right order, but they don't necessarily
apply to each other in that order.

SuStel
Stardate 3402.2

Back to archive top level