tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 27 11:35:43 2003

Re: TKD - vocabulary

From: "Quvar valer (Lieven)" <[email protected]>

> ghItlh ghunchu'wI':
>
> >The first is correct.
> >
> >http://www.startrek.com/library/klingon_linguistics.asp?ID=50652
>
> the page tells us:
> "Space vessel primarily used to recover debris and transport waste
materials"

> Can I use this as a canon resource, and include it in my personal
dictionary?
> So far I've included only canon , I don't want to mess it up.

No, it's not a canon resource as far as tlhIngan Hol goes.  He's simply
pointing out the correct definition.

From The American College Dictionary, 1966 (which, by the way, was one year
before the airing of "The Trouble with Tribbles," which had a Klingon use
the phrase "garbage scow"): "a large, flat-bottomed unpowered vessel used
chiefly for freight, as mud or coal; a low-grade lighter or barge."

A garbarge scow, therefore, is a lowly freighter that carries garbage.
("Garbage," by the way, doesn't even appear as an adjective in this
dictionary, so the idea of a poorly-kept ship doesn't make sense.)

SuStel
Stardate 3402.2

Back to archive top level