tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 24 05:18:14 2003

Re: KLBC: jang pagh?

ghItlh DIraHvIlov:

> jang pagh?

as a question, you need the question marker v#9 {-'a'}

{jang'a' pagh} "does nobody answer?"

>nuqmo' Sujangbe'?

{jangmeH poH vIHutlhmo'}
"because I lacked time to answer"

> vogh jIQaghnISqu'pu'.

You want to say {jIQaghbej} "I certainly made a mistake"
(that's what "I must have done..." means)
When you use v#2 {-nIS}, it means that you personally "need" to do s.th.

>HIloghmoH!

{HIlughmoH}

>jIghojlaH chay'?

{chay'} comes first:

   {chay' jIghojlaH}
   "how can I learn"

>logh chaq QIn ghunwI'...

"space, maybe, message, programmer"
Unfortunately, that ain't no sentence.

A word which is used for "program" is the word {mIw} "process"
Then we have the verb for "work, function" {Qap}

"maybe the message program mis-functioned"
{chaq QapHa' QIn mIw}

>QIn ngo' jIchel.

{QIn ngo'} is the object of the verb, so you need the appropriate prefix "I-it" {vI-}

{QIn ngo' vIchel}

>> jIghojmeH QuvarvaD je Hoch tlhIHvaD jIjatlh.
>> I speak to Quvar and you all in order to learn.

{tlhIH} is "you all", so no need to add "all".
{je} comes at the end of what you list: {Quvar tlhIH je}

But now we have the problem of what is the object of the verb. There is no prefix for talking to "him" and "you" at the same time, so
you might have to repeat the verb:

{jIghojmeH Quvar vIjatlh 'ej tlhIH Sajatlh}

>> jItlhetlhtaH.
>> I am progressing.

read TKD section 4.2.7.
<<<<<
This suffix is similar to {-taH} "continuous" in that it indicates that an activity is ongoing. Unlike {-taH,} however, {-lI'} implies that
the activity has a known goal or a definite stopping point. In other words, it suggests that progress is being made toward that goal.

    {chollI'} "it is getting closer"
              ({chol} "get close, come near")

>> I mean, of course I _am_ learning, but I learn a bit everyday so I experience some progress within my learning. Is {-lI'} only used
if the end of an action is more or less known?

exactly. In German they call this "ein absehbares Ende"

>> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhtaH maH Hu' vItaghpu'.
>> I started speaking klingon ten days ago.

"ten" is {wa'} + number forming element {-maH}: {wa'maH}

To say "start doing s.th." use the v#3 {-choH} "change"

{wa'maH Hu' tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchoH}
"I started speaking klingon ten days ago"
literally:
"ten days ago, I changed to speak klingon"

>> And no, I am _not_ better in speaking klingon, I have not heard any spoken klingon yet.
Then get the tapes, or even better, attend the qep'a' or the qepHom in autumn.

>> Qapla' Sughajjaj.

{Qapla' boghajjaj}

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian