tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 16:41:43 2003

Re: KLBC: {cha'}?

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 10:42:44AM +0200, Quvar valer wrote:
> Since you marked this as KLBC

Would it have been better had I not marked it KLBC?

> Three dictionaries? Please explain!

The three dictionaries I meant were TKD, the TKD addendum, and KGT.
When I compile my final dictionary, I will of course be including the
KLI's New Words List, but that's already electronic.

> But anyway, it's a good practice to write klingon. I made my personal
> dictionary out of all the books available, *that* is a good practice.

So I hear.  I certainly hope it is; it's enough of a pain to do so.

> The reason that "picture" stands in the translation is only to clarify
> that it's not "A show, A display", but a verb "TO show, TO display",
> like in the example "to show a picture".

Interesting.  I certainly would have gotten the fact that it is a verb
by the little "(v)" next to the definition.  :-)

> Here's some canon on how to use the verb:
> {motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'}
> "The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a complex target acquisition grid"

Is this a correct literal translation?
        Usually, a Klingon ship's main screen displays complex
        information so that they can acquire targets.

> For example, {mIvwIjDaq poghlIj vIcha'} implies that the postponed
> matter is between the speaker and the addressee.

That'd be "I display your glove on my helmet", correct?

> {tlhIngan wo' Degh 'oH Deghvam'e'. tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq
> batlh cha'lu'}

(This time translating without first looking at your version.)
"This symbol is the emblem of the Klingon Empire.  It is displayed with
honor on the hulls of very many Klingon ships."

> "This marking represents the Klingon Empire and has been emblazoned
> upon the hulls of countless Klingon Starships."

> There's three ways to "show" something:
>    {'ang} v. "show, reveal"
>    {cha'} v. "show, display (a picture)"
>    {'agh} v. "show, demonstrate, display"

Thank you for the summary that followed this!

> You can't use an object prefix with the v#1 {-'egh}, because the suffix implies that the object is the
> subject:
>   {jIcha''egh} [note: 2 apostrophes]
>   "I show myself", So it's the others who will see you.

Ah, another typo in TKD.  It's given as {-egh}, but used throughout as
{-'egh}.  Noted.

> Conclusion:
>   1. cha' = "show s.th."
>   2. no noun for "picture"