tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 08:14:10 2003

Re: KLBC: {cha'}?

From: "Quvar valer (Lieven)" <[email protected]>
> >{wIy},
>
>    {wIy yIcha'} "Show tactical display"
> This is the known tactical display with the triangle-grid, showing
defensive and offensive status of a
> space vessel. Not really a picture.
>
> > and {HaSta}, only the last of which seems vaguely appropriate.
> This is a "visual display", the screen on which you want to "display" your
"picture" on.
> I've seen {HaStavaD...} as "...for Windows" (speaking computers)

Both a /wIy/ and a /HaSta/ might be shown on the main viewer (jIH'a') of a
spaceship.  If you're looking at a diagram that abstracts something for use,
that's a /wIy/.  You've got it right in your description above, though I
suspsect that a /wIy/ is not limited to the Klingon variety.

A /HaSta/ is what you see when your captain asks for a picture of the enemy
ship, or that planet you're orbiting.  It's a normal picture, or at least
not a completely abstracted one, like a /wIy/.

(I don't think what you see on early 21st Century computer screens qualifies
as a /wIy/ or a /HaSta/.  If you're looking at MapQuest, you might ask for a
/wIy/.  If you're watching footage of the latest /qep'a'/ that someone has
put on his web page, you're looking at a /HaSta/.  But the operating system,
whether graphical or text, isn't a /wIy/ or a /HaSta/.  Just say you're
looking at the /jIH/.)

SuStel
Stardate 3344.4

Back to archive top level