tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 05 12:05:20 2003

KLBC: {cha'}?

Hello:

I've just finished transcribing all three printed Klingon->English
dictionaries, so that I can begin to collate them for myself.  Next will
be to check them for typos; after that will be to look into the slew of
words that are defined merely as "type of animal", and such, to see if
KGT has a better description in the body of the text.

But I was scanning through, and noticed a the word {cha'}, which as a
verb appears to mean "show, display (picture)".  This is cute, because I
can't find any such noun for "picture".

A non-Klingonist friend suggested that perhaps the idea of "picture" is
included in {cha'}.  So to show you the picture, just {SoHvaD vIcha'}?
Perhaps to *look* at the picture, I show it to myself:  {vIcha'egh}?  (Or
would that be to show myself as a picture, to someone else?)

But none of this solves the real problem:  what if I want to do other
things to pictures rather than display them?  What if I want to take
(in either of that word's senses) a picture?  Or burn it?  Or give it to
you?  I can't find nouns for picture.   The closest I get are {bey'},
{wIy}, and {HaSta}, only the last of which seems vaguely appropriate.

--
David "cogent" Hand
<http://davidhand.com/> <mailto:[email protected]> <icq:4321282>

Back to archive top level